Skip to main content

Lots of pictures. A few words.

As usual, I've been neglecting to keep up to date here. I expect both of you reading have probably noticed. So, let's see...

SnowTompkinsSnowTreeRandomSnowGirl7thSnowSnowChurch3
There's been a LOT of snow. Obviously. Wintertime hitting hard, pausing for a day to psyche us all out... Letting everyone run around in the sun wearing t-shirts, then dropping a blizzard on our heads the next morning.

Most of the above pictures were taken a couple weeks ago, on a night that I'd just gotten home from work and gotten settled in... And then the news of Hunter S. Thompson's death hit, and sent us all back outdoors, right as a nice gentle snow turned into all-out insanity. Rounds of free whiskey, snowball fights with random strangers, and much lunacy ensued. (My buddy Lamb recaps the entire evening here, and gets it all exactly right.)

Houston9AMSunshineSnow
Other than that, it's been a string of crazy days and nights... A hip-hop concert here, a quick lighting gig there, a job interview that I never hear back about, an almost-constant reshuffling of schedules and plans, working nonstop, and even a four-day run down thru D.C. and Charlottesville to see a bunch of family and friends and a few rock shows. Where I got even MORE snow.

Wilco@the930DCsnow1DCsnow2
And lest I forget, I bartended the most insane Jigsaw party yet, complete with an alcohol sponsorship, five jillion people, and a go-go dancer in the window.

JigsawWindowJoOnTV
Perhaps the next few weeks will be a bit more sane, and I'll be back to posting more regularly... But somehow I doubt it. Life doesn't seem to be in danger of slowing down anytime soon. And I'd not have it any other way, really.

WhaleRide



-PAR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell, Matthew S. Farrell

Matthew Farrell. Self-created raconteur, impresario, dandy, sponsor of the arts, cheerleader of creativity, perpetual inspiration. Our dear ice cream server Grace once jokingly referred to him as “the winner, and only contestant, of Charlottesville’s Oscar Wilde Lookalike Contest”, and y’know, she was pretty spot-on. Matt (I was told at various times to call him Matt, Matthew, or “just Farrell”, so to this day, I call him all those things) had his own style that was clearly modeled on his platonic ideal of a perfect gentleman. And this gentleman dressed like a Fitzgerald character, talked like a continental aristocrat who summered in some undefined New England coastal village, and walked like Groucho Marx. He smoked unfiltereds, often two at once, just for kicks, which he would hold when gesticulating excitedly as he greeted dear friends or total strangers. Pretentious? Yeah, a bit. Sincere? Always. Distinctive? Absolutely. At some point, I think I recall him saying someth

DJing, Charlottesville VA, Wednesday January 6th 2010!

If you are around in central Virginia tomorrow, you should come check this out. ...And if you're not, you should still look at the lovely event poster that my buddy James K. Ford and I made. The best imaginary vintage paperback cover never made, methinks. Very "Ace Double", in color scheme and layout. Anyhow, DJ gig. In the hometown. With my buddy James (AKA DJ Hummingbird Feeder) and me. We'll start around 9/9:30/10pm and go 'til last call. It will rock, and funk, and do other genretastic verbjectives... And it would be great to see you.

On David (DC, Dave) Berman.

David Berman has left the stage, made his exit, delivered his final observations on the state of existence.   I feel like it’s dumb to be tearing up at the thought of a Berman-less world, so I guess I’m dumb, and I guess I don’t really mind. I can't claim I knew him very well, but I thought of him as a friend. You know, the sort of friendships that form when you're both part of an amorphous social circle of weirdos in a small town at a certain point in time? Like that. Actually, exactly that. Everyone ends up at the same places, and it’s all a sea of get-togethers where everyone ends up in the kitchen, and a tiny club and a sushi bar and a Thai restaurant and a coffee shop and a bunch of patios in the summertime. You see different combinations of the same people, and there’s always beer and whiskey, and every wall is decked out with Steve Keene paintings, no matter which house or shop or cafĂ© you’re sitting in. Now, a couple decades removed, defining specifics is onerous, and